This post is also available in: EspañolReading time: 4 minutes
You already have your whole trip to the Amazon jungle organized, the flights, where you are going to sleep, what excursions you are going to do… but you have doubts when preparing your suitcase or backpack and you don’t know exactly what to bring to the jungle with you.
Well, don’t worry, this had already happened to us and we know that it is challenging to prepare a suitcase with everything essential and necessary for the trip. That’s why here we tell you everything you need to take to the jungle so you don’t forget anything in your suitcase.
What to wear to the jungle
Clothes are the first thing that you must put in your luggage to, for example, travel to the jungle of Iquitos. Don’t forget that you should take only what you need because you will have to carry it with you during your excursions, it can’t be missing:
- Cotton clothes and long sleeves: To travel to the jungle it is important to take comfortable, lightweight, and quick-drying clothes, preferably made of cotton. We recommend that the clothes cover the arms and legs and are light colours to avoid insect bites and possible scratches.
- Comfortable shoes and flip-flops: The terrain is irregular and humid so it is essential to wear closed shoes or high boots to protect you from vegetation, insects and water in swampy areas. Don’t forget to bring some flip-flops to be comfortable and cool in your relaxing moments.
- Swimsuit: You will be hot in the jungle so it is important to take a swimsuit to be able to bathe in the rivers and lagoons like the Laguna Grande, during your excursion through the Ecuadorian Amazon. You may also need it if you have to take communal showers.
- Raincoat: Raincoats are clothes that do not take up too much space and are very useful. In the jungle, rain can catch you unexpectedly. So if you wear one, it will save you from trouble and you will be able to continue your journey peacefully without getting wet.
First aid kit
During your tour of Puerto Maldonado or any other tour in the jungle, it will be difficult to find a place where they sell you medicine. That’s why it’s important that you take a mini first aid kit with essential products that can help you during your trip.
- Mosquito repellent: The insect repellent cannot be missing from your luggage, don’t forget that you are going to the jungle, the ideal habitat for mosquitoes. That’s why it’s a good idea to take two or three boats just in case. Although you can probably also buy it during your trip and it might even be cheaper and more effective.
- Sunscreen and sunglasses: You’ll be spending many hours walking in the sun, and you don’t want sunburn to ruin the rest of your trip, so sunscreen is another must-have. In addition, you should protect your eyes with good sunglasses.
- Analgesics and antihistamines: Insect bites or the sun can cause headaches or any other type of discomfort, so taking an analgesic or antihistamine can relieve and calm the pain.
Other essential items to bring to the jungle
- Flashlight: If you find yourself in the middle of the jungle there is probably no electric light. We recommend that you always have a flashlight on hand. And even more so, if you spend the night in a lodge in the middle of nowhere during the excursions to the Madidi and Pampas Combo.
- Canteen: It is necessary that you keep yourself hydrated for the whole day. So if you have a canteen you can always take it full of water. But be careful, not all water is drinkable, just in case you can take water purifying pills for the most extreme cases.
- Dryer: The humidity of the jungle can be uncomfortable at some times. From Howlanders we advise you to take a dryer with you during your trip if you have enough space in your suitcase. This way you can dry your hair or your clothes in case they get wet. If you stay in a luxury eco-hotel during the Napo Wildlife Center tour you will have electricity to use.
- Photo camera: Don’t forget to bring a photo camera to immortalize each of the landscapes and moments of your trip. It is advisable to take a case that protects the camera well and another more charged battery. Although do not forget to enjoy your trip, the reality is behind the screen!
- Plastic bags: You can carry plastic bags in your suitcase to keep your belongings from getting wet or damaged. Inside them, you can store your electronic devices, medicines, and even clothes to keep them dry. But recycle the bags and don’t leave them in the jungle!
- Cash: When making a trip to the Amazon you must keep in mind that you will only find ATMs in the big cities. For this reason, we recommend that you always carry cash – you never know when you will need it!
Now that you know what to bring to the jungle, all you have to do is put it into practice and prepare yourself for one of the best experiences of your life. Would you add anything else to the list? Tell us!